Thursday, April 1, 2010

More and More Bordeaux

Sometimes it seems as if there is an endless supply of Bordeaux. I guess when you have over 3,000 producers it can be almost a reality. Then you take into account that many of these producers produce 2 - 3 wines. AY!

What started as a pretty laid back day, became a full-throttle marathon before Lunch. In 2 hours, I sampled over 150 wines from Petite Chateaux, 2nd Vins de Grand Cru Classe, Older Classified Growth wines. One of the most impressive sites to be seen is the negociant at Chateau Rauzan-Segla and there inventory of over 1.2 Million Bottles of Classified Growths to Cru Borgeois. I have never seen something like it, truely awe inspiring. Then when you do the math on the Petrus, Chateau Margaux, Lafite Rothschild (2000, 2005, 1982, 1989, you name it just palates and palates of it sitting in temperature storage.) I have never felt like such a kid in a candy store, all I kept asking was do you have any Lynch Bages 1989 (My Wife and I's Special Wine) which is getting harder and harder to find.

Some of the winners from the Day:

Clos du Marquis 2001
Lacoste Borie Pauillac 2006
Croix de Beaucaillou St. Julien 2006
Vray Croix de Gay Pomerol 2009
La Gravette de Certan Pomerol 2007
Chateau Leoville Poyferre St Julien 2007
Sarget de Gruaud Larose St Julien 2007
Chateau Clerc Milon Pauillac 2009 (Yes I Know it's that good that I had to taste it again)
Chateau Beaumont Haut-Medoc 2009
Chateau D'Issan Margaux 2009
Clos Demoiselles Listrac-Medoc 2003


Most of these wines will retail under $60 a bottle and are fantastic. I will have a complete list with tasting notes and prices once I get back to the states.

It was a fantastic day of tasting and tomorrow is a day of one appointment. Only it's in Champagne, a 7.5 Hour drive from here. However, I am a sucker for Champagne. A good Champagne is worth almost whatever it takes to ger it. Bollinger is up there with one of the best Champagne houses. When you ask the Chateau Estate owners what they like to drink from Champagne, it's almost always Bollinger.

If you haven't been to Bodega in a while, we are pouring Montaudon Champagne by the glass for $12 a glass. It's affordable and delicious. I am signing out from Bordeaux, next time you hear from me will be from Champagne.

Cheers,

Amier

1 comment: